STATEMENT BY HONOURABLE SHARIE B. DE CASTRO,
MINISTER OF EDUCATION, CULTURE, YOUTH AFFAIRS, AND SPORTS
UPDATE ON THE REOPENING OF SCHOOLS
Friday, August 26th, 2022
Good day all,
In two weeks, lecturers and college students will returning to the classroom after a protracted summer time break. I want all lecturers and college students a productive studying expertise as all of us work collectively to remodel the lives of our most valuable useful resource – our kids.
In July of this 12 months, we knowledgeable you of the Ministry of Schooling’s plans to relocate the employees and college students of the Althea Scatliffe Main College. This motion was taken after a structural evaluation of the Althea Scatliffe Main College constructing, carried out in June by Civil and Structural Engineering Restricted, revealed that the constructing was structurally unsound and unsuitable for continued use.
As a reminder, the well being and security of our kids and lecturers comes first.
Preparations to deal with the scholars at Enis Adams Main College and Francis Lettsome Main College had been outlined in my assertion on July 29th, 2022.
At present we’re happy to announce that the Ministry of Schooling has partnered with Unite BVI who has agreed to soak up the full price of the infrastructural works wanted to supply a secure and useful studying surroundings for the scholars at each Enis Adams and Francis Lettsome Main Colleges.
That is distinctive information for us and we thank the staff at Unite BVI for making a distinction.
I’m happy to report that the initiatives will begin subsequent week and within the case of Francis Lettsome Main College, can be accomplished in phases, with the primary part to be accomplished in time for the reopening of faculty. This can permit for the scholars and lecturers to occupy the house in time for the opening of the brand new college time period.
The works wanted at Enis Adams Main College embrace the completion of the second flooring school rooms, which is slated to start subsequent week.
Nonetheless, due to the lead time vital for supplies wanted to finish the works, this challenge is estimated to take a bit longer.
In mild of this, and after session with the technical staff on the Ministry of Schooling and the principal of the varsity, a call has been made to implement a hybrid system on the Enis Adams Main College.
To make sure all college students on the establishment are afforded head to head instruction every day, the next schedule can be applied:
- College students from kindergarten to grade two, together with college students within the therapeutic kindergarten will attend college for full day instruction from 8:30am – 3:15pm, Monday to Friday.
- College students in grades 3 to six will attend on a hybrid schedule with one half of the inhabitants attending within the morning from 8:30am – 12 midday and the opposite half attending within the afternoon from 1:00pm – 4:30pm.
- Consideration has been given to accommodate households who’ve college students in a number of grades so that folks is not going to have to select up at two separate instances throughout the day.
A gathering was held to tell the mother and father of this replace.
I need to guarantee everybody that securing an area appropriate for the distinctive studying wants of the distinctive college students of the Eslyn Henley Richez Studying Centre has been a precedence of the Ministry.
We’re happy to announce that this group can be housed on the Valarie O. Thomas Group Centre in Sea Cow’s Bay for the upcoming college 12 months. Transportation can be made accessible for many who want it.
The Ministry of Schooling takes this time to thank the Social Growth Division for permitting the usage of this house and serving to to make sure that instructing and studying continues for the Eslyn Henley Richez Studying Centre.
The Elmore Stoutt Excessive College which was scheduled to be accomplished in time for the reopening of the 2022 – 2023 college 12 months has confronted some unforeseeable setbacks leading to a delay of the completion of this challenge.
Extra particularly, delays surrounding the arrival time of home windows and doorways together with different fixtures has led the Ministry to implement a hybrid system for college kids for the following few weeks. Simply this week the Restoration and Growth Company acquired a few of the home windows and doorways, and subsequent week they hope to obtain the stability. We’re all conserving our fingers crossed that the varsity can be accomplished for October 2022.
This can be organised as follows:
- College students of Grades 7, 10, 11 and 12 will attend face-to-face periods day-after-day from Monday to Friday.
- College students of Grades 8 and 9 will attend college in a hybrid style. On alternate weeks, college students from Grade 8 and 9 will attend face-to-face periods utilizing the next sample:
- Week 1: Grade 8: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; Grade 9: Thursday, Friday
- Week 2: Grade 9: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; Grade 8: Thursday, Friday
3. College students and oldsters can be supplied with a calendar to point the times on which they need to attend face-to-face periods.
4. College students in Junior grade ranges will attend within the morning session and senior college students will attend the afternoon periods. The bell schedule for every session can be shared throughout orientation.
General, I’m happy to have supplied this essential info.
We need to be sure that all of our lecturers and college students are taken care of as their well being and security are our first precedence. The ministry stays dedicated to making sure that every one college students within the territory are afforded entry to training as that is important to the continued growth of this territory.